Sunday, April 19, 2009

Big Weekend


Well, it's been a busy 3 days.

The husband turned 35 today. I'm trying to remember that one day I too will be 35, and won't consider myself old. So I probably shouldn't call him old either.

The exciting news of the weekend: we bought a new car. Now let me preface this with I HATE buying cars. We got the truck last year and that was painful, and I really wasn't looking forward to this purchase either. But last week the DH's work car died, and it is not very economically smart for either one of us to consider the truck to be a daily driver. So for the vast majority of the day Friday I shopped car lots. What a pain in the butt. Even having worked at a dealership for nearly 4 years I still can't stand salesmen. But at the end of the day, I had 4 cars, each at different lots that had peaked my interest.

And so after a morning of discussng options with the hub, we made the smart choice. Now when I say we made the smart choice, we chose the car that had the fewest miles (17,000), the least obnoxious color (steel grey), the best warranty (6 years 60,000 miles) and of course, the cheapest price tag (~$10,000) and consequently we now own probably the most boring car on the road, a 2008 Kia Optima. I looked at Subaru's, Nissan's, and even a Fusion that all would have been great, fun cars to own, but in the end, we chose the one that would have the least painful monthly payment. So I cry a little bit when I think about the DH driving my Camry (re: my baby) everyday, but at least it's staying in the family.

And so the other big news of the weekend is that I actually got out to ride my bike this morning. The weather was so gorgeous I had to go out. I only did 20 miles because with launch happening yesterday, I think I have had hard workouts 6 days in a row, and I teach 5 days next week. It sure felt good to get out.

I am currently having mental trauma as I try to decide whether I want to put myself on the "fast track" to finishing school. It would mean taking 2 classes nearly every session from now, until the end of the year. The program is set up so that you are really are only supposed to take one class a session, but that would mean I would not be done until August 2010, and not get to "walk" until May, 2011 (Gonzaga only holdes one graduation a year). So, I am hoping to be able to make that decision here sometime soon. If I decide to do it, I will probably have to shut down all things fun, including this blog.

No comments: